2.20.2009

An East Falls history lesson for all...























This is from The Fallser, an East Falls newspaper. The article talks about the hill just across the road from our house where we walk Creek. I believe at one point, Mom, you asked me what the statue was all about, but I did not know. Well now I do.

General George Washington and his army of 11,000 men camped at the site of the Queen Lane Resevoir before and after the Battle of Brandywine in 1777. The statue marks Washington's campsite.

Just as cool, the area was proposed as the site for the federal capital.

Since the army was 11,000 strong, I'd assume that there were some camping where my house is now. Also, I think if Obama lived at the top of the hill, I probably would not be able to afford living at the top of the hill beside him.

If you want to read the whole article, click here. Then go to page 19.

1 comment:

  1. How cool! I love history like that. You're right. 11,000 people camping would stretch pretty far. Thanks for the history lesson. I never got past Valley Forge.

    ReplyDelete